Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My husband and I decided last year to do away with cable TV for a number of reasons.  The adjustment was relatively easy.  We use Netflix to choose which shows we are okay with the kids watching and to watch movies after they go to bed.  The only time we really miss it is for sports which we both really enjoy.  It has been really difficult to not watch the Olympics. I have read the stories and watched the highlights online but miss watching the action and learning more about the athletes.  I think there are so many great lessons for the kids during the Olympics so I decided to order the DVD of the 2012 games.  I plan to speak with them about dreams, hard work, and overcoming adversity.  Competition is  a big thing in our home right now.  We play board games a lot and as a result my 2 older boys have become good winners and losers. It took awhile - many games and many tears - but they now cheer for one another when they win.  It is sweet to see.  Unfortunately that stops at the game table.  Everything is a race - who can get up or down the stairs faster, who can get in the car faster, who can go potty faster (that usually involves cleanup on my part!).  The list goes on.  Watching these athletes compete will provide a good opportunity to show them that 2nd 3rd and even last place finishers are all winners! I can't wait to get it.  I think we will have a delayed Olympic celebration with lots of crafts and games.  You can get a copy of the DVD at www.NBCOlympics.com.  I am curious what you have all done with your kiddos to celebrate the Olympics? Leave a comment and let me know!

1 comment:

  1. My 13th yr. old and I watch the Olympics together every chance we get. He is quite an athlete (football, basketball, softball, baseball) so competion is no surprise to him, especially a boy at his age! ;) I enjoy the time with him as he is my "last" ( I have 2 older children, 24 and 20) and that "together" time is getting less and less the older he gets. Although he still likes mom to be at every practice and every game!

    ReplyDelete